Search on
News Title
News Details
Reports/Directory
Glossary
Title_head
Ex mine security boss gets 3 years in West Virginia coal mine blast
500 times viewed.
Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012
EmailButton
Pdf_button
coming-soon

AP reported that a former security chief convicted of lying to investigators about the April 2010 explosion that killed 29 men at a West Virginia coal mine was sentenced to three years in prison. Prosecutors said it was one of the stiffest punishments ever handed down in mine safety case.

Mr Hughie Elbert Stover was convicted of lying to investigators and ordering a subordinate to destroy thousands of security related documents at the Upper Big Branch mine following the worst US coal mine disaster in four decades.

US Attorney Mr Booth Goodwin had sought a 25 year sentence, but he said he wasn't disappointed with the judge's decision. He said that "This represents perhaps one of the longest sentences ever handed down in a mine safety case. We wanted to send a clear message and will continue to send that anyone who obstructs our investigation, they're going to be met with the harshest prosecution."

Federal sentencing guidelines called for a total sentence of about three years for both crimes. Judges do not have to follow the guidelines.

Mr Gary Quarles, whose son died in the blast, said of the punishment, that "Well, that's better than what I thought. It's a little bit of satisfaction. It's a start."

Mr Stover showed no emotion when the sentence was announced. He will report to prison at a later date.

Defense attorney Mr Bill Wilmoth said that "I should be pleased in the sentence of only three years in light of the government's request for 25 years. If that's a victory, then it's a hollow one, because three years is a long time for someone who is 60 to be incarcerated."

Mr Wilmoth said he had not decided whether to appeal the sentence.

Witnesses testified at Mr Stover's trial that he instructed mine guards to send out radio alerts whenever inspectors entered the property, which is illegal. Stover denied the claims in a November 2010 interview with investigators.

The second count alleged Mr Stover sought to destroy documents in January 2011 by ordering a subordinate to bag them and then throw them into an on-site trash compactor, which is also illegal. Massey Energy, which owned the mine at the time, repeatedly warned employees to keep all records while the disaster remained under investigation. Company officials told investigators of the trashed documents, which were recovered.

Defense attorney Mr Bill Wilmoth said Mr Stover's actions were innocent mistakes and he deserved no jail time.

The defense portrayed the former law enforcement officer, a veteran of both the Navy and Marines, as a by the book employee who became a victim of the government's zeal to blame someone for the deadly explosion. A former mine superintendent was charged last week with conspiracy to defraud the government.

Mr Gary May is accused among other things of disabling a methane gas monitor, falsifying safety records and using code words to tip off miners underground about surprise inspections.

Source - Associated Press

(www.steelguru.com)

This is alternative content.

/
Arcelor
More Raw Material News