Philippine Airport Project Award to CCCC JV Cancelled
Philippine partner of state owned China Communications Construction Co MacroAsia told the Philippine Stock Exchange that the Cavite provincial
Philippine partner of state owned China Communications Construction Co MacroAsia told the Philippine Stock Exchange that the Cavite provincial government had cancelled the notice of USD 10 billion airport project to the consortium last year. Province of Cavite Governor MrJonvic Remulla wrote on FB “Due to the various deficiencies of the submission of requirements to conclude the Joint Venture Agreement for the Sangley Point International Airport, the Cavite Provincial Government Special Selection Committee has recommended the non-approval of the redevelopment of the former airbase as presented by the applying parties. The recommendation was accepted and approved by my office dated January 26, 2021. While it does cancel the negotiations, the project shall restart and hopefully have a progressive negotiation with a more qualified partner by October 2021. I still believe that a new international airport is important for the country in the long run. It must also be stressed that the cancellation is not prejudicial against anyone.”
The Sangley Point International Airport project, located south of the Philippine capital, is aimed at alleviating congestion at Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The project involves a massive reclamation of Manila Bay and will be able to accommodate over 100 million passengers annually once completed. The planned airport is located near Philippine Navy facilities and faces the navy's bay-side headquarters, raising national security concerns from some in the military.