Webuild to Double Line between Messina and Catania
Webuild Messina Catania LineWiki

Webuild to Double Line between Messina and Catania

The Webuild Group has won a contract worth EUR 1.003 billion to double the high-capacity railway between the cities of Messina and Catania in Sicily along

The Webuild Group has won a contract worth EUR 1.003 billion to double the high-capacity railway between the cities of Messina and Catania in Sicily along the Giampilieri Fiumefreddo section, known as the Second Functional Taormina–Giampilieri Lot. It is the latest project on the Italian island to be assigned to Webuild to support the development of sustainable mobility and provide work for the local supply chain. The project, commissioned by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana, will be led by Webuild in a consortium in which it will have a 70% stake. Partner Pizzarotti will have the remaining 30%.

Work on the lot entails the construction of a new railway for 28.3 kilometres that will include the civil and related works such as electrification, signalling and communications. It will also foresee the excavation of two natural single tunnels, six parallel tunnels and seven viaducts.

The Taormina-Giampilieri lot will be part of a new line between Messina and Catania that will join the existing one ahead of the Fiumfreddo station, then reconnect to it at the Giampilieri station. Most of the line will be through tunnels and further away from the coast than the existing line. It will include a hub at Fiumefreddo, a new underground station at Taormina, five new open-air stops. The Letojanni station will remain.

No stories found.
SteelGuru Business News
www.steelguru.com