USITC Votes to Continue Probe on Aluminum Foil Imports
imports of aluminum foil from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey that are allegedly sold in the United States at less than fair value and subsidized by the governments of Oman and Turkey. As a result of the Commission’s affirmative determinations, the US Department of Commerce will continue its investigations of imports of aluminum foil from Armenia, Brazil, Oman, Russia, and Turkey, with its preliminary countervailing duty determinations due on or about December 23, 2020, and its preliminary antidumping duty determination due on or about March 8, 2021.
Product Description: Aluminum foil having a thickness of 0.2 mm or less, in reels exceeding 25 pounds, regardless of width. Aluminum foil is made from an aluminum alloy that contains more than 92 percent aluminum. Aluminum foil may be made to ASTM specification ASTM B479, but can also be made to other specifications. Regardless of specification, all aluminum foil meeting the scope of the description is included in the scope, including aluminum foil to which lubricant has been applied to one or both sides of the foil. Excluded from the scope of these investigations is aluminum foil that is backed with paper, paperboard, plastics, or similar backing materials on one side or both sides of the aluminum foil, as well as etched capacitor foil, and aluminum foil that is cut to shape. Where the nominal and actual measurements vary, a product is within the scope if application of either the nominal or actual measurement would place it within the scope based on the definitions set forth above.
Status of Proceedings:
1. Type of investigation: Preliminary antidumping and countervailing duty investigations.
2. Petitioners: Aluminum Association Trade Enforcement Working Group, Arlington, VA; Gränges Americas, Inc., Franklin, TN; JW Aluminum Company, Daniel Island, SC; Novelis Corporation, Atlanta, GA.
3. USITC Institution Date: September 29, 2020.
4. USITC Hearing Date: October 20, 2020.
5. USITC Vote Date: November 12, 2020.
6. USITC Notification to Commerce Date: November 13, 2020.