Isuzu Motors Ltd. recently joined Mitsubishi Corporation and other stakeholders in a collaborative effort to advance digital transformations in regional public transportation. The partnership, initiated in April 2023, focuses on autonomous-driving services in Hiratsuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture. Isuzu's alignment with the values and goals of the project led to its inclusion. The six signatories have launched a self-driving bus proof of concept (PoC) in Hiratsuka City, aiming to enhance regional public transportation through DX-driven innovations.
In a significant stride towards the future of regional public transportation, Isuzu Motors Ltd. joined forces with Mitsubishi Corporation (MC) and other key players in the realm of digital transformations (DX). The collaboration, which originated in April 2023, centers on advancing autonomous-driving services in Hiratsuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture.
The recent addition of Isuzu to this innovative consortium highlights a shared commitment to addressing logistics and mobility challenges through DX-driven solutions. Isuzu's demonstration of values aligning with the project's goals makes it a natural and valuable signatory.
As of January 19, 2024, the six signatories, including MC, Isuzu, Hiratsuka City, Kanagawa Chuo Kotsu Co., Ltd., Aisan Technology Co., Ltd., and A-Drive Inc., have embarked on a proof of concept (PoC) for a self-driving bus in Hiratsuka City. This initiative leverages the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism's program aimed at subsidizing projects enhancing regional public transportation.
**Objective of our Agreement:**
The primary goal of this six-party agreement is to contribute to the revitalization of Japan's regional communities. The focus is on providing convenient, accessible, and sustainable public transportation services. The approach involves close collaboration, efficient utilization of resources, and the implementation of next-generation mobility solutions driven by digital transformations, particularly in autonomous-driving technology.
**Scope of Agreement:**
1. **Digital Transformations in Regional Public Transportation:** The consortium aims to bring about digital transformations in the landscape of regional public transportation.
2. **More Convenient Mobility Options through MaaS:** The initiative explores Mobility as a Service (MaaS) to offer enhanced and more convenient mobility options.
3. **Regionally Based Self-Driving PoC:** The current release marks the commencement of a self-driving proof of concept (PoC) for buses in Hiratsuka City, focusing on regional needs.
4. **Verification of Problems in Operating and Servicing Self-Driving Buses:** The consortium will rigorously examine challenges in both operating and servicing self-driving buses.
5. **Other Initiatives Necessary to Achieve Our Agreement’s Objective:** The collaboration will undertake various initiatives essential to achieving the overarching objective of revitalizing Japan's regional communities.
The six signatories anticipate the PoC's successful validation, aiming to unlock the commercial potential of this autonomous-driving solution for the benefit of regional public transportation.
Isuzu's integration into the collaborative effort spearheaded by Mitsubishi Corporation marks a significant stride towards revolutionizing regional public transportation through digital transformations. With a shared commitment to addressing mobility challenges and a focus on autonomous-driving technology, the consortium embarks on a proof of concept in Hiratsuka City.