Australian developer Bowen Coking Coal has shipped the first coal from its 1.2 million tonne per year Bluff pulverized coal injection grade mine from Gladstone port. The 35,000 tonnes cargo of ultra-low volatile PCI grade coal was shipped under a sales contract to Taiwanese conglomerate Formosa Plastics under a 50:50 marketing joint venture between BCC and Australian trading firm M Resources. Bowen Coking Coal uses Australian firm QCoal's washing and rail loading facilities at Cook Colliery, which restarted in April having closed in late 2019 when then owner Bounty Mining went into administration.Bowen Coking Coal plans to boost production at Bluff to 80,000-100,000 tonnes per month by the end of August, which is equivalent to the 1.2 million tonnes per annum ROM rate that the mine is expected to operate at for the next 4-6 years.Bluff is the first stage in Bowen Coking Coal 's plans to mine 5 million tonne per year of coal in Queensland by 2024, which includes the Burton and Lenton coking coal projects that it acquired from Australian coal mine New Hope. The deal with New Hope gave BCC 90% of Burton and Lenton, with Formosa holding the remaining 10%.Bowen Coking Coal, which is run by senior executives formerly from Australian coking coal producers Stanmore and Curragh, acquired the Broadmeadow coking and thermal coal project from US energy firm Peabody in June 2020. Stanmore and M Resources have also jointly reopened the 1.2 million tonne per year Millnium and Mavis Downs metallurgical coal complex through their MetRes joint venture.