AIC to Upgrade GERDAU Long Steel NA Rolling Mill in Canada
Automazioni Industrial Capitanio has commissioned a rolling mill upgrade at Gerdau Long Steel North America plant in Cambridge in Canada. Improved performance and safety have been achieved thanks to the installation of new electrical and automation systems made in accordance with customer requirements.
The scope of supply included
1. Design, manufacture and test of the new stand RO
2. Safety devices
3. All on-machine sensors and cabling installation
4. Integration of the new equipment with existing IBA platform
5. Auxiliary drives for Furnace Runout roller table and Pinch Roll
6. PLC and HMI software development
7. Equipment tests, supervision to erection, commissioning, training and production assistance
8. Spare parts
Despite the global restrictions, commissioning was completed in March 2021. The customer was very satisfied with the results and expressed his gratitude for the “stunning dedication” to the project: thanks to the project the customer is able now to roll bigger billets and uniform the rolled billet sizes to other mills within the same group.
Gerdau Long Steel North America manufactures structural steel, piling, rebar, merchant bar, and special bar quality products for the agricultural, automotive, civil construction, distribution, energy, industrial, and mining markets. GLN operates seven mills in the United States and three in Canada, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Gerdau SA.