Italian steel maker Beltrame announced that Ferriera di San Giovanni is celebrating 150th anniversary of the ancient Ironworks Beltrame factory and an event was held inside the production site to remember a piece of the city's history. The top management and the management of the company, the municipal administration, with the mayor Vadi and the commissioner Ermini, military authorities, employees of yesterday and today were present. La Ferriera was born in 1872, as a plant for the extraction and use of lignite that was extracted in nearby Santa Barbara. It was specialized in iron working by the Society for the Iron Industry of Florence. After various vicissitudes, the site was then taken over by the anonymous society of Italian ironworks, established in Rome in August 1880. In 1918 the San Giovanni plant became part of the Ilva complex. In the mid-1950s it was acquired by the Finsider financial group, incorporated into the IRI. In the 1960s, Italsider was born from a merger between the Conegliano Steel Company and Ilva, of which the old Sangiovannese Ironworks became part. After the crisis in the steel industry, in 1981 the company passed to the Piombino steelworks and subsequently to Deltavaldarno. In 1990 it joined the Ferdofin group, regaining its original name, the Ferriera del Valdarno. Today it is part of the Veneto-based Beltrame group, which has been operating in the steel industry for more than a century, producing laminates for building construction, shipbuilding and earth-moving machinery. The current structure of the Ironworks sees the rolling mill section managed by AFV Beltrame Group with 70 employees and the Duferco mechanical section (with Acofer and ARV) with 175 employees.Overall, the Ironworks occupies an area of 150,000 square meters covered and as many uncovered.