Protact Lamination Line at Tata Steel in IJmuiden
What makes the new production facilities at Tata Steel’s IJmuiden site special is the addition of an in-house laminating line, the largest of its kind in the
What makes the new production facilities at Tata Steel’s IJmuiden site special is the addition of an in-house laminating line, the largest of its kind in the world, to apply a special food safe layer to the steel, but also its own film production line for manufacturing the high quality polymer needed plastic film. Tata Steel now holds several patents on this product. The production line for Protact has been running in IJmuiden for more than a year now and with great success. The installation has a capacity of more than 150,000 tonnes per year. The Protact production facilities have been designed in such a way that they meet all the requirements set out for food-safe production in both Europe and the United States. This also means employees wear special clothing to ensure optimal hygiene in the factory.
Protact is a new steel packaging material which is as safe as it has always been, but easier for canmakers to work with and truly 100% recyclable. Protact is used in the food processing industry, including canned food.
The unique product has several advantages:
- Customers no longer need to apply a coating layer to the steel themselves
- Customers can significantly reduce the number of steps in their production process, reducing production costs, making more cans faster and supplying their customers faster
- Extra width of the material yields 15% higher production turnover for customers
- With Protact, the production process at customers factories can be set up much more sustainably (less energy and water consumption and lower emissions)
- The outside of the material can be printed much more easily than with traditional packaging steel types
- Optimal corrosion protection for use in the food industry and for other applications, such as for making aerosol cans giving a longer lifespan.