Tata Steel’s Kalinganagar Expansion Nears Completion

Tata Steel Kalinganagar
Tata Steel KalinganagarImage Source: Tata Steel

Synopsis:

Tata Steel is close to finishing the second phase expansion of its Kalinganagar project in Odisha, aiming for a 8 million metric tons per annum capacity by next December. The $23.5 billion project includes upgrades for diverse steel productions. With 80% completed, the expansion positions Kalinganagar as a high-tech, cost-efficient steel producer globally, reports Business Line

Article:

Tata Steel is on the verge of finalizing the second-phase expansion of its Kalinganagar project in Odisha, striving to elevate its production capacity to 8 million metric tons per annum by December next year. Rajiv Kumar, the Vice President of Operations at Tata Steel Kalinganagar (TSK), revealed the imminent completion in an interaction with PTI.

The expansion, initiated in November 2018 with a staggering investment of $23.5 billion, encompasses multifaceted enhancements across raw material capacity, infrastructure, and downstream facilities. Notably, the installation of the largest blast furnace in the country, boasting an inner volume of 5,870 cubic meters, marks a significant stride in this ambitious endeavor.

Kumar emphasized that the project's core objective remains augmenting flat steel production, catering to burgeoning demands across automotive, engineering, oil & gas, and related value-added sectors in India.

Providing an update on the expansion's progress, the Vice President highlighted that approximately 80% of the project stands completed, with the remaining 20% progressing steadily towards the finish line.

Upon its completion, the Kalinganagar expansion will elevate Tata Steel's total production capacity across its Indian operations to 26.6 MTPA. This significant augmentation aligns with the company's strategic growth plans and reinforces its prominent position within the Indian steel industry.

When questioned about the expansion's significance, Kumar stressed the infusion of cutting-edge technologies, positioning Kalinganagar as one of the globe's most cost-effective steel producers, heralding an era of innovation and efficiency in steel manufacturing.

Conclusion:

Tata Steel’s imminent completion of the Kalinganagar project's second-phase expansion, poised to significantly amplify its steel production capacity, reflects the company's commitment to technological advancements and efficiency. As the project nears completion, it positions Kalinganagar as a leading, technologically advanced steel hub globally.

Related Stories

No stories found.
logo
SteelGuru Business News
www.steelguru.com