US Steel Fined for Air Pollution at Clairton Coke Works
Clairton Coke Works Pittsburgh Post

US Steel Fined for Air Pollution at Clairton Coke Works

Tribune Live reported that the Allegheny County Health Department has issued over USD 201,500 of penalties against US Steel for air pollution and permit

Tribune Live reported that the Allegheny County Health Department has issued over USD 201,500 of penalties against US Steel for air pollution and permit violations that occurred at the Clairton Coke Works during the first quarter of 2021. 90% of that total will be paid to the Community Benefit Trust for impacted communities and remaining 10% will be paid to the Clean Air Fund, a fund where penalties from polluters emission violations are deposited.

The Community Benefit Trust was established in accordance with a settlement the health department reached with US Steel in 2019, which addressed 2018 and 2019 enforcement orders and subsequent appeals. That settlement established an agreement that 90% of all battery fugitive emissions violations at the Clairton Coke Works would be deposited into the trust. Those funds will be used for projects that will improve, protect or reduce the risk to public health or the environment. The trust was established to support communities impacted by air pollution from the facility including Clairton, Glassport, Liberty, Lincoln and Port View.

Clean Air Fund dollars are used to support initiatives like improving air quality in Allegheny County, public education and health effects studies and surveys concerning air pollution and the purchase of equipment, services or facilities to support the air quality program.

No stories found.
SteelGuru Business News
www.steelguru.com